Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Snickerdoodles You Are Sure To Love!

When you try these Snickerdoodles, you will say goodbye to store-bought dough! There really is no comparison!

If you think making cookies from scratch just sounds like too much work, I get it. I was there about 4 years ago. Then one day I had a craving, made some cookies and realized that not only are cookies pretty easy to make, they taste way better than the ones I was buying at the store or making from store-bought dough! Now I love to bake cookies and often experiment with different recipes until I find the perfect combination and write a new recipe to call my own. Here is one of my favorites:

Snickerdoodles
by Heidi Monteith

½ cup butter or margarine (1 stick), softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

Topping:
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
Put dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
Take about 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place it onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. They will seem undercooked when you take them out of the oven.

Yield: 18-22 cookies

Tips from Heidi:
After experimenting, I have found that Land O’ Lakes Margarine gives me the best results. I now use it for all of my cookies.
I have successfully doubled this recipe but tripling is not a good idea.
I use the Medium Pampered Chef scoop to shape the dough.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Yum! I can't wait to try these! And thanks for the helpful tips.

Sarah said...

Perhaps I'll try it, but in my house if there is no chocolate, then why are you even bothering?

Kristin said...

I believe you when you say that store bought is nowhere near as good as home made. Chips Ahoy are a great example of that. They are not allowed in our house. Only homemade for us. I am guessing snickerdoodles are the same. Next time I can justify making a treat, I will try these. Thanks for sharing