Sunday, June 8, 2008

Out With The Old and In With The New

I wanted to buy a new kitchen table with our stimulus check because ours was way too small (32" x 60"). I had even picked it all out, showed it to my mom and was waiting for an upcoming 1/2 price sale. Unfortunately, we had a *death* in the family and had to change our plans. Our washing machine tried so hard to survive but it seems it was just her time to go. With a smaller budget to work with, I turned to Craigslist and was able to find a great deal on this table that was owned by a single man. I am a bit worried about the seat cushions but this table matches my cabinets and was the best deal I found on Craigslist after following it for about 6 weeks. It's so nice to have a bigger table (40" x 72")! I just hope my kids don't destroy it too quickly. Any suggestions?


Out with the old...

In with the new...

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

use a table cloth or place mats and you can buy heavy plastic to cover the seats at any fabric store.

Sarah said...

Place mats! I use a tablecloth and place mats, but since some of your children like to pull, place mats are your best bet!

Kristin said...

My table looks really bad because I didn't know you girls when I got it. You dont' want my advice, but NICE table. I love it. We have a pretty long table too and we love it. With 4 kids you NEED it!

Jacquie Six said...

I love the stain resistant tablecloths at Bed Bath and Beyond. They truly are water and stain resistant. You could put a plastic cloth underneath just in case. As they get older if the liquid is left on too long it will soak through. We have fun "accidentally" spilling our drinks when we have company and then blowing all the water droplets around on the tablecloth, it looks like mercury drops, or just sucking the liquid off the cloth with no wet mark left. We did that when Kevin came over once. They are not real expensive either especially if you have one of their coupons it's like $10 - $15 for that size. They come in lots of colors and sizes. Once we had a chocolate fountain and there was chocolate EVERYWHERE and I thought I should rinse it or try to wipe it off first but thought NOT and threw it in the washer and EVERYTHING came out, not a single stain! For the cushions, just go buy a can of scotch guard and spray them yourself and repeat it like every 6 months. That stuff really works, I do my car seats all the time and nothing soaks in, just beads up and wipes right off, even ink. Jacquie Six

Jacquie Six said...

PS - Whenever I can get Jane over I show her your blog and she so enjoys it!!! Especially the video clips.

Heidi said...

Thanks Jacquie! I have been wondering if you could treat the fabric yourself and now I know what to look for! I found some tableclothes like you are describing on Amazon but I will check out Bed Bath and Beyond first because I do have a coupon.

Thanks for showing Mema my blog. I need to add more video clips but my camera is full and I need to take the time to dump them onto my computer.

Robin said...

I'm with Kristin. I have NO advice, but I'm glad you got your table!

Robin said...

P.S. I really like the table!

Jueneta said...

Awesome!!! . . . your flowers worked.

I love the table.