Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jack!


Jack's ninth birthday was on June 18th. The Saturday before his birthday, Abby spent hours making him a Happy Birthday banner. She first made one on the computer and then because John and I were "too busy" to print it she decided to use the craft area to make her creation. Then on his birthday she made him a crown that said "I Love Jack". She was being so sweet and John and I were sad that Jack was being so mean to her Saturday and here she was secretly making things for his birthday!



We have a family party on their odd birthdays so this was a family party. Jack had very specific requests for his birthday. He wanted homemade pizza for dinner, a Sam's Club cake with blue frosting and these gifts:

a box of paper clips
a box of rubber bands
clothespins
Lego Indian Jones for the DS
A compass
Legos

I have to wonder about his plans for the first three gifts. His Nana bought him the DS game and the compass and we got him the rest.



For family birthday parties, we always hide the wrapped gifts and then John writes clever clues for each one. For example: If ye be seeking pirate swag, Look ye where every man stows his bag! The kids really look forward to this part of their birthdays .


Ethan was so tired that by the end he could hardly keep his eyes open. He did perk up a little after the cake though! Speaking of cake, I told John he could take the rest to work on Friday. We would never be able to eat the whole thing! I let the children know that from now on family parties have family made cakes. : )

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love the hiding the presents idea. I have to remember that one. Your children are so sweet. Are all your kids one year younger than mine? Mine were born summer 1998, fall 2000, winter 2003,spring 2005

Sarah said...

So much fun! I really want to know why he wanted the paper clips, rubber bands, and clothespins. You must tell me when you figure it out! Happy Birthday, Jack!

I remember holding him as a baby. He and Josh are the only ones I've seen as babies. I haven't even seen Ethan in real life.

Mike and Desiree and the Boys said...

Who wouldn't want a box of paperclips and rubberbands. The clothespins are just a bonus. Really I think he was testing you to see what he could get away with. Maybe he thought, 'A few cheap gifts and I can ask for the big game.' Could be any one of those. Seriously though, I think I will try the whole hiding thing. John, I have already hid your next gift somewhere on Okinawa. That's my clue to you.

Mike, Sr.