Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Think Young!

We have had a lot of family birthdays in the last couple of months and I keep hearing people say things like:

"I am getting so old."

"I can't believe you are 35! You are getting old."

(And yes, I am guilty of this myself.)

Upon reflection, I have decided that I don't like to think of 33 (my age and I'm not embarrased to share it) as being old because my life expectancy when I was born was 78 and the longer I live the higher my life expectancy gets. I survived childhood diseases, I avoided being in a fatal car accident as a youth, and I am doing well!

If I start thinking of myself as old then I am going to be OLD for a very long time. I don't want to be old for that long so from this day forward I will be thinking of myself and those around me (yes, you too) as young.

5 comments:

Tori said...

It's so strange to me when people refer to themselves as old when only in their 30s. I think of 70 as GETTING old... 90 is oldish. Anyway... I'm glad you're thinking young!!

Kristin said...

I prefer to think of myself as wiser. So far the older I get the more confident and secure I feel with who I am. I understand and appreciate the gospel more too, so, if that is what it means to get old,I am ok with it.

Jueneta said...

That's a great idea for me too. I need to think 37 is not old but young.

Sarah said...

Hear. Hear. Now if people would stop saying things like, "I'm so fat." Over and over. I can't stand that.

Daniel and Karen said...

I'm guilty of this too! I constantly find myself whining that I'll be 30 next year. But what about all the great stuff I get to do in between? Thanks for this post!