Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Salute to National Poetry Month


Little wand slim and gray
I wait five minutes to see what you say.

Will you pronounce a big change in our lives?
Will we soon be the parents of five?

I’ve been so tired and gained some weight
And if allowed will sleep in late

I asked Jen what this all meant
She replied, “Could you be pregnant?”

Shocked and surprised by her suggestion
I quickly said, “No, it’s out of the question!”

Jen smiled and asked, “How do you know?”
I replied that I’d had my monthly flow.

“I'd had three,” she said with a grin.
“But I’m on the pill,” I said for the win.

Not convinced, Jen replied, “So was I.”
Surprised again, I gave it one more try.

“Did you take it at the same time everyday?”
“Yes, I followed the directions in every way.”

“There is only one way to know for sure
Without a test from the store.”

Quickly thinking “What does she mean?”
Then blushing with defeat and understanding

I quietly responded “Oh, I see.”
She had finally convinced me of the possibility.

Days go by and I still feel strange
Often thinking of our exchange.

It was true I didn’t know for sure.
So I got a test from the store.

I was mostly hoping for a negative
But part of me wanted a positive.

I love little babies soft and sweet.
I love their tiny hands and feet.

But with no income and a body that ails me
I feel we are not ready and may never be.

Of course, I would not argue with Our Father who knows best
If He decided with another we should be blessed.

Little wand slim and gray
I’ve waited five minutes to see what you say.

With no further ado, I will say
I do not have another baby on the way.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Heidi, this kind of sucks. No way you should write a poem to say you're not pregnant. It made me sad.

Heidi said...

You have to remember that I am not trying, have no income and some health problems. I have to say that I did get a little excited that I might be pregnant but now doesn't seem to be the time. I have been blessed with four beautiful children and I would rather you or Stephanie or some of my other friends that have been trying would get pregnant.

Don't be sad.

Emily said...

Heidi, what a great poem! I think most women have had those exact feelings when something is a little bit off. ;) Thanks for sharing!

Robin said...

I, too, was hoping that this was going to end with a different announcement, but alas... We can all be happy that our lives our in Heavenly Father's hands, and, no matter what, that's always for the best.

Kristin said...

As I read it, I felt horror and excitement for you. I have 4 and know I am done, but if God were to decide otherwise...I think I would remember the pluses and be able to manage a little excitement. With your health though, and the medications you are taking, it worried me. That would be so hard on your body. Great poem though! You are a gifted writer!

Tori said...

What a great salute. ^_^ I enjoyed it and was REALLY excited to read the result. What a great "nail biter". heeheehee ;)

vicki said...

What a terrific poem! Tori said it well...a nailbiter.
May I suggest something (unsolicited, argh!) that has benefited others with your ailment? WHile I don't have what ails you, i do have a problem that has GReatLY, in a positive way, been impacted by a change in my diet. Using the diet solution offered in the book, "4 Blood types, 4 diet: Eat Right for your type" has helped many people. It is based on such logical 'stuff'.
wishing you wellness...vicki farrell

Stephanie said...

Your poetry is too long :)...but I forced my self to read each word and not skip ahead. Clever.

Daniel and Karen said...

Well said, Heidi!