Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Treasures


Mema is my mother's mother. She has dementia. Everytime I go to Virginia Beach for a visit, I see how changed she is by this disorder. It has progressed to the point that Mema will be moving in with my mother and father. Last weekend my mother asked us all to go to Mema's and see if there is anything there that we want since most of it will have to be donated or sold.


We started going through Mema's treasures. It was exciting to find old pictures, letters and trinkets! I loved seeing old pictures of my grandparents and my mother! I loved reading old letters! Here are a couple of stories we found in one letter Mema wrote to my Uncle Jeff:

"Alex came home carrying his belt, he came from Mr. Blairs, Debbie said 'Alex why did you take your belt off?' He said, 'Mr. Blair was going to get me, so I took my belt off to wack him!"

"Sarah brought a picture of her hand print home, the next day she had her foot print. I said, 'Sarah, how did they get your foot print?' She said, ' Oh, grandma, I had to take my shoe and sox off.' We walked down the road a little way, she looked up at me and said, 'Grandma, I hope they don't take our body print tomorrow!'"



Mema and Papa were able to attend my wedding. If I had known then that Papa would pass away six short months later, oh the things I would have asked him... the things I would have told him... how much closer I would have listened to his stories! I miss you Papa.

If I had known two years ago that Mema would get dementia, oh the things I would have asked her... the things I would have told her... how much closer I would have listened to her stories! I miss you Mema.

I enjoyed going through your treasures and I want you to know that the two of you are my treasures. You are worth more to me than all of the gold on this earth. I am so thankful for our eternal family and that you are two treasures that I will have with me in heaven!

Thank you for all the love you have given me! I love you!


4 comments:

Sarah said...

This is beautiful, Heidi! Thank you so much! I love you.

Kristin said...

You were blessed to have your wonderful grandparents in your life. The best way you can honor them is to learn from these regrets. Your parents are still alive so make sure you treasure them and ask them all the questions you wish you had asked your grandparents. I bet some day you will get a chance to ask your grandparents all of those questions and what a great time you will have.

Kristin said...

I love all the pictures of you and the one with Sarah. Cute story too.

Kristin said...

oops I know your grandma is still alive. I meant unable to answer the questions you wanted to ask. I was dealing with Lincolns cat behavior when I responded to that last night.